275 years ago, on 6 May 1737, the Croatian Parliament convened for this first time in the palace where it has been residing since.
Until then parliamentary sessions had been held at distinguished citizens’ homes, at the royal or the bishop’s court.
The new, yet unfinished Parliament building housed a session hall, offices, the so-called Chest of Privileges, containing the state’s fundamental documents, the district court and an arms depot.
The construction works, designed by architects Lav Kalda and Karlo Susan, were completed in 1911: several surrounding buildings were united into one single palace of the Parliament as we know it today. (Internet Editorial Staff)