4th term of the Croatian Parliament (2 February 2000 - 22 December 2003)
Committee on Human and National Minority Rights
Scope of work
The Committee on Human and National Minority Rights shall establish and monitor the implementation of policy, and in procedures to enact legislation and other regulations it shall have the rights and duties of the competent working body in matters pertaining to:
- the implementation of ratified international treaties that regulate the protection of human rights,
- matters of principle, proposals and opinions related to the application of the provisions of the Constitution of the Republic of Croatia dealing with human rights and fundamental freedoms,
- the exercise and protection of human rights and freedoms,
- the exercise of the rights of national minorities established by the Constitution of the Republic of Croatia and laws, and the proposal of measures to exercise these rights,
- the legal and actual position of Croatian minorities in neighbouring countries and the proposal of measures to improve overall co-operation in order to preserve their national identity,
- international treaties and programs of international cultural, educational and other cooperation when this is of interest to individual national minorities,
- the financing of specific needs of national minorities,
- other activities established by these Standing Orders.
The Committee on Human and National Minority Rights shall co-operate with scholarly and professional, governmental and non-governmental organisations that operate in the field of the protection of human and ethnic rights, with the relevant working bodies of parliaments in other countries and with foreign and international bodies that operate in the field of the protection of human and ethnic rights.
The Committee on Human and National Minority Rights shall co-operate with working bodies entrusted with petitions and appeals and with other parliamentary working bodies and may additionally consider matters under the competence of these working bodies if it assesses that they are of significance to the protection of human and ethnic rights.